This is a list of software you may need, and a link to get the most up-to-date version.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader X: Reads pdf documents
- Firefox: Alternative to IE9
- Medialab: Psych testing software. Duke has a site license for ver. 2008. After installing, open the program for the first time. It will generate a code that you need to send to email@example.com You must keep the software window open while you await their response. They will send you a code back, which then allows you to license the product.
- Pdf995 and Converter (You will need both): Free PDF generator
- Print Screen: Prints your desktop
- Thunderbird: Alternative e-mail client to Microsoft Outlook and other similar programs
- VPN: Allows you to reach your files on the network. Accept "Default" as department
- Winscp: Easy way to ftp securely
- 7 Zip: Unzips files that have been zipped with .zip or .tar
Duke has a site license for many necessary software titles. This list is some of the names you might find valuable.
Click here for a complete list and download. (netid and password required)
- Endnote13: Reference database and formatter in MS Word
- Endnote 15: Only version that will work with Microsoft Office 2010
- Eprint for Windows 32 bit
- Eprint for Windows 64 bit
- Eprint for Macs: Allows you to print to public printers (OIT) on Duke's Campus
- F Secure-Windows: Allows you to send files from your computer to your sociology account or your Duke (NetID) account
- Filezilla: Allows you to send files from your computer to your sociology account or your Duke (NetID) account
- Mcafee8.8-Windows: Virus protection
- McAfee for Macs and McAfee Agent 4.0.0 if needed by installer
- Microsoft Office for both Windows and Mac
- Microsoft Windows
- X-Win 32 2012 and Activation Instructions: Graphic interface to statistical software. Will allow you to use SAS and STATA at home.