Associate Professor in the Sanford School of Public Policy
- Box 90312, Durham, NC 27708-0245
228 Rubenstein Hall, Box 90312, Durham, NC 27708
- Phone: (919) 613-7364
Christina M. Gibson-Davis is an associate professor in the Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University, with a secondary appointment in sociology. Her research interests center around social and economic differences in family formation patterns. Her current research focuses on the how divergent patterns of family formation affect economic inequality.
Ph.D., Northwestern University 2001
B.A., Bates College 1992
- The Great Recession and the Nonmarital Fertility Ratio. December 17, 2013
- The Great Recession, Job Loss, and Fertility: Evidence from North Carolina. May 1, 2012
- The Effect of Job Loss on the Birthrates of Young Women. November 1, 2010
- Did Marriage and Fertility Get a Divorce? The Differential Association of Earnings on Marriages and Births. February 1, 2010
- Towards a Unified Theory: Understanding the Associations. December 12, 2008
- The Association between Fathers’ Informal Employment and Marriage. December 12, 2008
- Gibson-Davis, CM, Ananat, EO, & Gassman-Pines, A. (2016, December). Midpregnancy Marriage and Divorce: Why the Death of Shotgun Marriage Has Been Greatly Exaggerated. Demography, 53 (6), 1693-1715.
- Gassman-Pines, A, Gibson-Davis, CM, Vernot, C, Butler, M, Hall, N, Taylor, L, Eastwood, K, & Zhang, X. (2016, October). They Should Say “I Don't”: Norms About Midpregnancy Marriage and Job Loss. Journal of Marriage and Family.
- Holbein, JB, Hillygus, DS, Gibson-Davis, CM, Hill, D, & Lenard, MA. (2016, June 9). True Grit: The Development of Students’ Engagement in School, Community, and Democracy.
- Gassman-Pines, A, Gibson-Davis, CM, & Ananat, EO. (2015, December). How Economic Downturns Affect Children's Development: An Interdisciplinary Perspective on Pathways of Influence. Child Development Perspectives, 9 (4), 233-238.
- Gassman-Pines, A, Ananat, EO, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2014, October). Effects of statewide job losses on adolescent suicide-related behaviors. American journal of public health, 104 (10), 1964-1970.
- Gibson-Davis, C. (2014, August). Magic moment? Maternal marriage for children born out of wedlock. Demography, 51 (4), 1345-1356.
- Gibson-Davis, C, & Rackin, H. (2014, June). Marriage or Carriage? Trends in Union Context and Birth Type by Education. Journal of Marriage and Family, 76 (3), 506-519.
- Ananat, EO, Gassman-Pines, A, & Gibson-Davis, C. (2013, December). Community-wide job loss and teenage fertility: evidence from North Carolina. Demography, 50 (6), 2151-2171.
- Rackin, H, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2012). The Role of Pre- and Postconception Relationships for First-Time Parents. Journal of Marriage and Family, 74 (3), 526-539.
- Jiang, M, Foster, EM, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2011, November). Breastfeeding and the child cognitive outcomes: a propensity score matching approach. Matern Child Health J, 15 (8), 1296-1307.
- Gibson-Davis, C. (2011). Mothers but not wives: The increasing lag between nonmarital births and marriage. Journal of Marriage and Family, 73 (1), 264-278.
- Foster, EM, Jiang, M, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2010, August). The effect of the WIC program on the health of newborns. Health Serv Res, 45 (4), 1083-1104.
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Gassman-Pines, A. (2010, January). Early childhood family structure and mother-child interactions: variation by race and ethnicity. Dev Psychol, 46 (1), 151-164.
- Jiang, M, Foster, EM, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2010). The effect of WIC on breastfeeding: A new look at an established relationship. Children and Youth Services Review, 32 (2), 264-273.
- Gibson-Davis, CM. (2009). Money, marriage, and children: Testing the financial expectations and family formation theory. Journal of Marriage and Family, 71 (1), 146-160.
- Gibson Davis, CM. (2008). The Effect of Family Structure on Maternal and Paternal Parenting. Journal of Marriage and Family, 70, 452-465. (Academic Article)
- Gibson-Davis, CM. (2008). Family structure effects on maternal and paternal parenting in low-income families. Journal of Marriage and Family, 70 (2), 452-465.
- Gibson Davis, CM, & Brooks Gunn, J. (2007). The Association between Maternal Relationship Status and Breastfeeding Behaviors. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 1107-1117. (Academic Article)
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Brooks-Gunn, J. (2007). The association of couples' relationship status and quality with breastfeeding initiation. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69 (5), 1107-1117.
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Brooks-Gunn, J. (2006, November). Breastfeeding and verbal ability of 3-year-olds in a multicity sample. Pediatrics, 118 (5), e1444-e1451.
- Duncan, GJ, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2006, October). Connecting child care quality to child outcomes: drawing policy lessons from nonexperimental data. Eval Rev, 30 (5), 611-630.
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Brooks-Gunn, J. (2006, April). Couples' immigration status and ethnicity as determinants of breastfeeding. Am J Public Health, 96 (4), 641-646.
- Duncan, GJ, & Gibson Davis, CM. (2006). Childcare Quality and Child Outcomes: Drawing Policy Lessons from Nonexperimental Data. Evaluation Review, 30 (5), 611-630. (Academic Article)
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Foster, EM. (2006). A cautionary tale: Using propensity scores to estimate the effect of food stamps on food insecurity. Social Service Review, 80 (1), 93-126.
- Gibson-Davis, CM, Edin, K, & McLanahan, S. (2005). High hopes but even higher expectations: The retreat from marriage among low-income couples. Journal of Marriage and Family, 67 (5), 1301-1312.
- Gibson-Davis, CM, Magnuson, K, Gennetian, LA, & Duncan, GJ. (2005). Employment and the risk of domestic abuse among low-income women. Journal of Marriage and Family, 67 (5), 1149-1168.
- Gibson, CM. (2003). Privileging the participant: The importance of sub-group analysis in social welfare evaluations. American Journal of Evaluation, 24 (4), 443-469.
- Gibson, C, & Weisner, C. (2002). Rational and Ecocultural Circumstances of Program Take-Up Among Low-Income Working Parents. Human Organization, 61 (2), 154-166.
- Huston, AC, Duncan, GJ, Granger, R, Bos, J, McLoyd, V, Mistry, R, Crosby, D, Gibson, C, Magnuson, K, Romich, J, & Ventura, A. (2001). Work-based antipoverty programs for parents can enhance the school performance and social behavior of children. Child Development, 72 (1), 318-336.
- Rackin, H, & Gibson-Davis, CM. Money, marriage, and children: Qualitative evidence using Network Text Analysis (Submitted).
- Schenck-Fontaine, A, Gassman-Pines, A, Ananat, E, & Gibson-Davis, CM. Effects of Local Job Losses on the Frequency and Severity of Child Maltreatment (Submitted).
- Kane, JB, & Gibson-Davis, CM. A contemporary analysis of marital advantages in adverse birth outcomes (In preparation).
- Ananat, E, Gassman-Pines, A, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2011). The effects of plant closings on children's educational achievement. In GJ Duncan and R Murnane (Eds.), Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality, Schools, and Children's Life (pp. 299-313). New York: Russell Sage. (Essay)
- Magnuson, KA, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2007, January 1). Child support among low-income noncustodial fathers. In Unmarried Couples with Children (pp. 228-251).
- Gibson-Davis, CM. (2007, January 1). Expectations and the economic bar to marriage among low-income couples. In Unmarried Couples with Children (pp. 84-103).
- Magnuson, K, & Gibson-Davis, CM. (2007). Explaining the patterns of child support among low income noncustodial fathers. In K Edin and P England (Eds.), Unmarried Couples with Children (pp. 228-251). New York: Russell Sage. (Essay)
- Gibson-Davis, CM, & Duncan, GI. (2005). Qualitative/quantitative synergies in a random-assignment program evaluation. In T Weisner (Ed.), Discovering Successful Pathways in Children's Development: Mixed Methods in the Study of Childhood and Family Life (pp. 283-303).
- Gibson-Davis, CM. Marriage, Partnering, and Fertility (In preparation). In D Brady and L Burton (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of the Social Science of Poverty Oxford University Press. (Essay)
- The Racial Marriage Gap and Student Achievement: A New Look at an Old Conundrum 2016 - 2018
- The Link between Education, Engagement, and Well-being 2014 - 2017
- Collaborative Research: Leveraging Matched Administrative Datasets 2012 - 2017
- Family Structure and Inequality in Contemporary America 2015 - 2017
- Meeting the Bar: A Propensity Score Analysis of BSF Impacts by Couples' Economic Status 2014 - 2016
- Duke Center for Geospatial Medicine 2004 - 2008