Associate Professor of Sociology
268 Sociology/psychology Bld, Box_90088, Durham, NC 27708
- Phone: (919) 660-5614
Much of my research has been about exchange in human blood and organs, cultural goods, software, and ideas. My current work focuses on the moral order of market society, the effect of models and measurement on social classification, and the link between those two topics, especially in the consumer credit market. I’m also interested in techniques and methods for data visualization.
Ph.D., Princeton University 2001
M.A., Princeton University 1998
M.A., University College Cork 1994
A.B., University College Cork 1993
Awards and Honors
Residency Fellow. Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences., 2008
ASA Dissertation Award. American Sociological Association., 2002
- Dealing With Difficult Relations. ASA Meetings. ASA. December 13, 2011
- Economic Categories in Neoliberal Society. SASE Meetings. SASE. December 13, 2011
- Specialization and Status in Philosophy. December 1, 2010
- For Love or Money. December 1, 2010
- Gift Fetishism and the Market for Human Organs. October 1, 2009
- Economic Categories and Claims in Neoliberal Society. August 1, 2009
- Specialization and Status in Philosophy. May 1, 2009
- Specialization and Status in Philosophy. April 1, 2009
- Specialization and Status in Philosophy. April 1, 2009
- Specialization and Status in Philosophy. February 1, 2009
- The Performativity of Networks. January 1, 2009
- The Performativity of Networks. October 1, 2008
- The Performativity of Networks. March 1, 2008
Service to the Profession
- Editorial Board Member : Contemporary Sociology. 2011
- Reviewer, Economics and Philosophy. December 30, 2010
- Reviewer, Theory and Society. 2010
- Reviewer, University of California Press. 2010
- Reviewer, University of Minnesota Press. 2010
- Reviewer, American Journal of Transplantation. December 15, 2009
- Reviewer, Cambridge University Press. December 15, 2009
- Consulting Editor : American Journal of Sociology. 2009 - 2011
- Editorial Board, Socioeconomic Review. 2009
- Editorial board, American Journal of Sociology. 2009
- Reviewer, Oxford University Press. 2009
- Reviewer, University of Chicago Press. 2009
- Editorial Board, Contexts. 2008 - December 31, 2010
- Healy, K. (2015, August). The Performativity of Networks. European Journal of Sociology, 56 (02), 175-205.
- Healy, K, & Moody, J. (2014, July). Data Visualization in Sociology. Annual review of sociology, 40, 105-128.
- Fourcade, M, & Healy, K. (2013, November 1). Classification situations: Life-chances in the neoliberal era. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 38 (8), 559-572.
- Appleman, LI, Bayern, S, Chandler, AD, Cheren, RD, Cherry, MA, Davies, RE, Fennell, LA, Gowder, PA, Hartsell, C, Healy, K, James, RA, Kahn, JH, Kerr, OS, Levy, JT, Lipshaw, JM, Lobel, O, Manne, GA, Oldfather, CM, Patel, R, Pojanowski, JA, Roberts, AJ, Scheidegger, K, Stock, A, & Walker, A. (2012). Micro-Symposium on Orin Kerr's 'A Theory of Law'. Green Bag 2d, Vol. 16, (2).
- Healy, K, & Krawiec, KD. (2012). Custom, contract, and kidney exchange. Duke Law J, 62 (3), 645-670.
- Healy, K, Hutter, M, & Espeland, WN. (2011, October). Lucien Karpik Valuing the Unique: The Economics of Singularities. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 2010. SOCIO-ECONOMIC REVIEW, 9 (4), 787-800.
- Healy, K. (2011). Judgment and Disctinction. Socio-Economic Review, 9, 787-800. (Review)
- (2011). Counting and Commodifying. Washington University Journal of Law and Policy, 35, 337-347. (Academic Article)
- Healy, K. (2009, July). Pop Finance: Investment Clubs and the New Investor Populism. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY, 115 (1), 309-312.
- Fourcade, M, & Healy, K. (2007). Moral Views of Market Society. Annual Review of Sociology, 33, 285-311. (Academic Article)
- Healy, K. (2006). Do Presumed Consent Laws Raise Organ Procurement Rates?. DePaul Law Review, 55, 1017-1043. (Academic Article)
- Healy, K. (2004). Altruism as an Organizational Problem: The Case of Organ Procurement. American Sociological Review, 69, 387-404.
- Healy, K. (2002, December 1). What's new for culture in the new economy?. Journal of Arts Management Law and Society, 32 (2), 86-103. (Review)
- Healy, K. (2002, December 1). Survey article: Digital technology and cultural goods. Journal of Political Philosophy, 10 (4), 478-500. (Review)
- Healy, K. (2002). Digital Technology and Cultural Goods. Journal of Political Philosophy, 10, 478–500-478–500. (Academic Article)
- Healy, K. (2000, May 1). Embedded altruism: Blood collection regimes and the European union's donor population. American Journal of Sociology, 105 (6), 1633-1657.
- Western, B, & Healy, K. (1999, December 1). Explaining the OECD wage slowdown: Recession or labour decline?. European Sociological Review, 15 (3), 233-249.
- Healy, K. (1999, August 1). The emergence of HIV in the U.S. blood supply: Organizations, obligations, and the management of uncertainty. Theory and Society, 28 (4), 529-558.
- Healy, K. (1998). Conceptualising constraint: Mouzelis, Archer and the concept of social structure. Sociology, 32, 509–522-509–522. (Academic Article)
- Healy, K. Data Visualization in Sociology. Annual Review of Sociology, 40, 105-128.
- Healy, K. The Emergence of HIV in the U.S. Blood Supply: Organizations, Obligations, and the Management of Uncertainty. Theory and Society: renewal and critique in social theory, 32, 86-103.
- Paul, LA, & Healy, K. Transformative Treatments (Published online). Noûs.
- Healy, K. (2008). Sociology. In RE Goodin, P Pettit & T Pogge (Eds.), A Companion to Contemporary Political Philosophy (pp. 90–122-90–122). Blackwell, New York.
- Healy, K. (2004, February 12). Sacred Markets and Secular Ritual in the Organ Transplant Industry. In F Dobbin (Ed.), The Sociology of the Economy (pp. 336-359). Russell Sage Foundation.
- Healy, K. (2001, August 27). Wage Growth and Labor Decline in the Industrialized Democracies, 1965-1993. In N Bermeo (Ed.), Unemployment in the New Europe Cambridge University Press.
- Healy, K. The New Institutionalism and Irish Social Policy. In S Healy and B Reynolds (Eds.), Social Policy in Ireland: Principles, Practice and Problems (pp. 59-83). Dublin, Ireland: Oak Tree Press.