Professor with Tenure
- Duke Box 90088, Durham, NC 27708-0088
268I Soc-psych, Durham, NC 27708
- Phone: (919) 660-5625
My current research involves a multi-year panel study of racial and ethnic differences in academic performance. A substantial body of research documents a gap in performance among different groups, yet the reasons why are only partly clear. Our research design follows two cohorts of Duke University undergraduates, the incoming classes of 2001 and 2002, surveyed before coming to Duke and approximately, annualy thereafter until exit from Duke. Empirical comparisons examine differential in human, cultural and social capital, negative stereotyping and identity dynamics, social networks, and residential, social and academic climates as these evolve during the undergraduate years.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin at Madison 1977
- Freeland, RE, Spenner, KI, & McCalmon, G. (2015, August). I Gave at the Campus. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 44 (4), 755-774.
- Martin, ND, Tobin, W, & Spenner, KI. (2014). Interracial Friendships Across the College Years: Evidence from a Longitudinal Case Study. Journal of College Student Development, 55 (7), 720-725.
- Arcidiacono, P, Aucejo, E, Hussey, A, & Spenner, K. (2013, November). Racial Segregation Patterns in Selective Universities. The Journal of Law and Economics, 56 (4), 1039-1060.
- Arcidiacono, P, Aucejo, EM, & Spenner, K. (2012). What happens after enrollment? An analysis of the time path of racial differences in GPA and major choice. IZA Journal of Labor Economics, 1 (1), 5-5.
- Arcidiacono, P, Aucejo, EM, Fang, H, & Spenner, KI. (2011, November). Does affirmative action lead to mismatch? A new test and evidence. Quantitative Economics, 2 (3), 303-333.
- Spenner, KI. (2010, July). Education and Jobs: Exploring the Gaps. CONTEMPORARY SOCIOLOGY-A JOURNAL OF REVIEWS, 39 (4), 463-465.
- Martin, ND, & Spenner, KI. (2009, November). Capital Conversion and Accumulation: A Social Portrait of Legacies at an Elite University. RESEARCH IN HIGHER EDUCATION, 50 (7), 623-648.
- Spenner, AK. (2008). Within-College Human Capital and Racial Ethnic Differences in Academic Performance.
- Spenner, AK. (2008). A Social Portrait of College Legacy Admissions.
- Spenner, KI, Buchmann, C, & Landerman, LR. (2004). THE BLACK-WHITE ACHIEVEMENT GAP IN THE FIRST COLLEGE YEAR: EVIDENCE FROM A NEW LONGITUDINAL CASE STUDY. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 22, 187-216.
- Spenner, KI, & Coenen-Huther, J. (1998, September). Bulgaria at the Crossroads. Contemporary Sociology, 27 (5), 514-514. (Review)
- Spenner, KI, Suhomlinova, OO, Thore, SA, Land, KC, & Jones, DC. (1998, August). Strong legacies and weak markets: Bulgarian state-owned enterprises during early transition. AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW, 63 (4), 599-617.
- Spenner, KI. (1998, March). Reflections on a 30-year career of research on work and personality by Melvin Kohn and colleagues. SOCIOLOGICAL FORUM, 13 (1), 169-181.
- Spenner, KI, & Jones, DC. (1998, March). Social economic transformation in Bulgaria: An empirical assessment of the merchant capitalism thesis. SOCIAL FORCES, 76 (3), 937-965.
- Spenner, KI. (1997). Review of Gerontographics: Life-Stage Segmentation for Marketing Strategy Development by G Moschis. Contemporary Gerontology. (Review)
- Spenner, KI. (1994, March). Reviews of The Vulnerable Fortress: Bureaucratic Organization and Management in the Information Age by J. R. Taylor and E. J. Van Every, and Computers and Culture in Organizations: The Introduction and Use of Production Control Systems in French, Italian, and German Enterprises by M. Heidenreich. Contemporary Sociololgy. (Review)
- ROSENFELD, RA, & SPENNER, KI. (1992, November). OCCUPATIONAL SEX SEGREGATION AND WOMENS EARLY CAREER JOB SHIFTS. WORK AND OCCUPATIONS, 19 (4), 424-449.
- Spenner, KI, & Petkov, K. (1992). The effects of technology on the quality and quantity of work: similarities between East and West. Journal of Managerial Issues, 4, 533-553. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1991, November). Review of Social Structure and Self-Direction: A Comparative Analysis of the United States and Poland by M. L. Kohn and K. M. Slomczynski. American Journal of Sociology. (Review)
- Petkov, K, & Spenner, KI. (1991). The social organization and consequences of technological change: similarities between East and West. Journal of Sociological Problems, 3-16. (Academic Article)
- SPENNER, KI. (1990, November 1). Skill: Meanings, Methods, and Measures. Work and Occupations, 17 (4), 399-421.
- Spenner, KI. (1990, July). New Forms of Work Organization in Europe by P. Grootings, B. Gustavsen, and L. Hethy. Contemporary Sociology. (Review)
- Spenner, KI, & Rosenfeld, R. (1990). Women, work and identities: an event history analysis. Social Science Research, 19, 266-299. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI, Kerckhoff, A, & Glass, T. (1990). Open and closed education and work systems in Great Britain. European Sociological Review, 6, 215-235. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1989, July). Review of Work Experience and Psychological Development Through the Life Span by Mortimer and Borman. Contemporary Sociology. (Review)
- Spenner, KI. (1989). Perestroika Gorbachev’s Russia: Dramatic Times. Window, 4-11.
- Spenner, KI. (1988). Personality, work, and social stratification. WR Scott (Ed.). Annual Review of Sociology, 14, 69-97.
- Spenner, KI. (1988). Occupations, work settings and the course of adult development: tracing the implications of select historical changes. P Baltes, D Featherman & R Lerner (Eds.). Life Span Development and Behavior, 9, 243-285.
- Spenner, KI. (1987, November). Review of Beyond Mechanization by L. Hirschhorn. Work and Occupations. (Review)
- Featherman, DL, & Spenner, KI. (1987). Class and the socialization of children: constancy or change?. EM Hetherington, R Lerner & M Perlmutter (Eds.). Child Development in Life-Span Perspective, 67-90. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1985, November). Review of Career Choice and Development by D. Brown, L. Brooks, and Associates. Contemporary Sociology. (Review)
- Spenner, KI. (1985, January 1). The Upgrading and Downgrading of Occupations: Issues, Evidence, and Implications for Education. Review of Educational Research, 55 (2), 125-154.
- Spenner, KI, & Otto, LB. (1985). Work and self-concept: selection and socialization in the early career. A Kerckhoff (Ed.). Research in Sociology of Education and Socialization, 5, 197-235. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1983, December). Deciphering Prometheus: Temporal Change in the Skill Level of Work. American Sociological Review, 48 (6), 824-824.
- Spenner, KI. (1983). Work, Jobs, and Occupations: A Critical Review of the Dictionary of Occupational Titles. Sociology of Work and Occupations.. (Review)
- (1981). Occupations, role characteristics and intergenerational transmission. Sociology of Work and Occupations, 8, 89-112. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1980, November). Occupational Characteristics and Classification Systems. Sociological Methods & Research, 9 (2), 239-264.
- Spenner, KI. (1980). Review of Schooling, Academic Performance and Occupational Attainment in a Non-Industrialized Society by S Heyneman and J Currie. Children and Youth Social Service Review. (Review)
- Spenner, KI. (1979, December). Temporal Changes in Work Content. American Sociological Review, 44 (6), 968-968.
- Spenner, KI. (1979). Jobs across generations. Career Education Quarterly, 4, 34-38.
- Spenner, KI, & Featherman, DL. (1978, August). Achievement Ambitions. Annual Review of Sociology, 4 (1), 373-420.
- Haller, A, & Spenner, KI. (1977). Occupational income differentiation in status attainment. Rural Sociology, 42, 517-35. (Academic Article)
- Spenner, KI. (1976). Reply to Form. American Sociological Review, 41, 160-65.
- Spenner, KI. (1975, August). "The Internal Stratification of the Working Class": A Reanalysis. American Sociological Review, 40 (4), 513-513.
- Fink, EL, Rey, LD, Johnson, KW, Spenner, KI, Morton, DR, & Flores, ET. (1975, January). The effects of family occupational type, sex, and appeal style on helping behavior. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 11 (1), 43-52.
- Martin, ND, Spenner, KI, & Mustillo, SA. A Test of Leading Explanations for the College Racial-Ethnic Achievement Gap: Evidence from a Longitudinal Case Study (Published online). Research in Higher Education.
- Bryant, AY, Spenner, KI, Martin, N, & Sautter, J. (2007). The Campus Life and Learning Project: A Report on the College Career. 95 pp. Durham, NC: Duke University.
- SPENNER, KI, & ROSENFELD, RA. (1990, September). WOMEN, WORK, AND IDENTITIES.
- Spenner, KI. (1989). Managers, technology and jobs: paradox and similarity between East and West.
- Spenner, KI. (2000). Personality and social structure. In EF Borgatta (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Sociology New York: Macmillan.
- Spenner, KI. (1997). Technological change and deskilling. In L Saha (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of Sociology of Education Oxford, England: Elsevier.
- Spenner, KI. (1995). Technological change, skill requirements and education: The case for uncertainty. In D Bills (Ed.), The New Modern Times: Factors Reshaping the World of Work (pp. 81-138). Albany: SUNY Press.
- Spenner, KI. (1994). Technological change and deskilling. In M Carnoy and H Levin (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Education Oxford, England: Elsevier.
- Spenner, KI. (1988). Technological change, skill requirements and education: the case for uncertainty. (pp. 131-184). New York: Ballinger.
- Rosenfeld, R, & Spenner, KI. (1988). Women’s work and women’s careers: a dynamic analysis of work identity in the early lifecourse. In M Riley (Ed.), Social Structures and Human Lives (pp. 285-305). Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Spenner, KI. (1988). Technological change, skill requirements and education: the case for uncertainty. In RM Cyert and DC Mowery (Eds.), The Economic and Employment Effects of Technological Change (pp. 131-184). New York: Ballinger.
- Spenner, KI. (1981). Occupational characteristics and classification systems: new uses of the Dictionary of Occupational Titles in social research. In GW Bohrnstedt and EF Borgatta (Eds.), Social Measurement: Current Issues Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Committee on Techniques for the Enhancement of Human Performance, , National Research Council, , & et. al., . (1999). The Changing Nature of Work: Implications for Occupational Analysis. National Academy of Sciences Press.
- Spenner, KI, Otto, LB, & Call, VRA. (1982, June). Career Lines and Careers. Lexington Books..
- Call, VRA, Otto, LB, & Spenner, KI. (1982). Tracking Respondents: A Multi-method Approach. Lexington Books.
- Otto, LB, Call, VRA, & Spenner, KI. (1981). Design for a Study of Entry into Careers. Lexington Books.
- (95-0578) Collaborative Research: Organizational Adaption & Survival During Reform: A Panel Study of Bulgarian Enterpris 1993 - 1996
- (94-0654) Collaborative Research on Organizational Adaptation and Survival During Reform: A Panel Study of Bulgarian Ent 1993 - 1995
- (93-0090) Adaptation and Survival During Reform: A Panel Study of Bulgarian Enterprises 1993 - 1994
- (90-0020) Managers, Technology, and Jobs: Comparative Research 1989 - 1990